A Yemeni fighter backed by the Saudi-led coalition fires his weapon during clashes with Houthi rebels on the Kassara frontline near Marib, Yemen on June 20, 2021
The United Nations on Tuesday said that Yemen
‘s warring parties agreed to extend a four-month-long truce. The ceasefire was extended hours before it was about to expire. Yemen was gripped by violence since 2014 as an-backed Huthi rebels took control of the capital Sanaa. The following year, Saudi Arabia extended military support to Yemen’s government.
The truce came into effect on April 2. It was renewed on June 4. The ceasefire will now expire on October 2. The truce “includes a commitment from the parties to intensify negotiations to reach an expanded truce agreement as soon as possible,” said the United Nations special envoy on Yemen, Hans Grundberg
as quoted by AFP.
Grundberg further added that the truce would provide relief to civilians and create a conducive environment for reaching a peaceful settlement to the conflict through a comprehensive political process. Last month, a UN official said that two-thirds of Yemen’s 30 million population need humanitarian aid.
The European Union welcomed the decision. Under the ceasefire, commercial fights from the rebel-held capital Sanaa to Jordan and Egypt have resumed, reported AFP. Oil tankers have also been able to dock in the port of Hodeida. The port is under the control of Huthis. As per aid agencies working in Yemen, civilian casualties have dropped considerably since the truce on April 2.
US President Joe Biden also welcomed the ceasefire between Yemen’s warring parties.