Last week, Josep Borrell, the EU foreign policy chief and coordinator of the nuclear talks between Iran and world powers, submitted a new draft text. Borrell urged all sides to accept it or “risk a dangerous nuclear crisis”.
On Wednesday, Tehran said that a delegation would leave for Vienna to resume the talks. “As part of the policy of lifting cruel sanctions against our country, Iran’s negotiating team led by Ali Bagheri, the Islamic republic’s chief negotiator, will leave for Vienna in a few hours,” reported AFP quoting Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanani as saying.
The deal is also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). It was signed in 2015 in Vienna, between Iran and the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council – China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States, the European Union and Germany. In 2018, the US pulled out of the agreement as then US President Donald Trump said that his government would negotiate a better deal.