Japan PM blames inadequate security for Shinzo Abe’s assassination; police find bullet marks on building

Shinzo Abe death_AP

A woman prays after offering a bouquet of flowers at the memorial area set up for former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, shown in pictures, at the ruling Liberal Democratic Party’s headquarters in Tokyo, Thursday, July 14, 2022.

Photo : AP

Tokyo: Nearly a week after Shinzo Abe was assassinated in the western Japanese city of Nara last Friday, the country’s prime minister, Fumio Kishida has put the blame on inadequate police security. Former Japanese PM Abe was shot while he was delivering an outdoor election campaign speech. He was declared dead hours later.
Abe’s assassination left Japan in shock as he was among the country’s most influential politicians. The gunman managed to come close to the former PM before opening fire on him from behind. This was established by photos and videos of the incident that circulated on social media.
The suspected gunman was overpowered by security at the shooting site itself and detained. As per details of the investigation available so far, the suspect gave the reason of a rumoured link between Abe and a religious group for the killing. The suspect hated the Unification Church for personal reasons. It was reported that he was upset because his mother’s massive donations to the church had led to the family going bankrupt.

Shinzo Abes Plan To Go There Was Decided Only This Morning Jun Isomura Abe Attack Times Now
‘Shinzo Abe’s Plan To Go There Was Decided Only This Morning’, Jun Isomura | Abe Attack | Times Now

Meanwhile, Japanese police yesterday said they discovered several suspected bullet marks on a building near the shooting site. The suspect had used a powerful homemade gun and the first shot narrowly missed Abe. The second shot struck him in the neck, triggering internal bleeding in the chest.

The former PM did not have any vital signs when he was airlifted from the incident site to a hospital.

Abe was Japan’s longest-serving prime minister and remained influential as well as in the limelight despite quitting two years ago due to health reasons.

It was reported that the police would be able to detain the suspect, Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, for up to three weeks before prosecutors take a call on whether to formally charge him with murder.