Afghanistan condemns US drone strike in Kabul that killed Al-Qaeda chief, calls it ‘violation of international principles’

kabul drone attack

A general view shows smoke rising from a house in Kabul, Afghanistan on July 31, 2022 in this still image obtained from a video.

Kabul: Afghanistan on Tuesday condemned the US-led airstrike in Kabul which killed Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri and called it a violation of international principles.

The Afghan government further called the attack a “repetition” of the failed experiences of the last 20 years.

In an official statement, Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) spokesperson said, “On August 1, 2022, an air strike was carried out on a residential house in the Shirpur area of Kabul city. At the outset, the nature of the incident was not revealed.”

“The security and intelligence agencies of the Islamic Emirate investigated the incident and found in their preliminary investigations that the attack was carried out by American drones,” it added.

The Taliban-led IEA stated that it strongly condemns this attack on any cause and calls it a clear violation of international principles and the Doha agreement.

“Such actions are a repetition of the failed experiences of the past 20 years and are against the interests of the USA, Afghanistan and the region. Repeating such action will damage the existing opportunities,” read the statement.

It was the first known over-the-horizon strike by the United States on an Al-Qaeda target in Afghanistan since American forces withdrew from the country on August 31, 2021.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday evening that “by hosting and sheltering” Zawahiri, the Taliban had “grossly violated the Doha Agreement” signed in 2020, which paved the way for America’s withdrawal.

Zawahiri, an Egyptian surgeon who grew up in a comfortable Cairo household before turning to violent radicalism, had been on the run for 20 years since the 9/11 attacks.

He took over Al-Qaeda after Osama bin Laden was killed by US special forces in Pakistan in 2011, and had a $25 million US bounty on his head.
Share